Cough or Heartburn?
If your cough troubles you mainly after meals, at night or while lying down, your problem might not be in your chest but in your digestive tract. You may be affected by heartburn. Heartburn results when stomach acids back up into your lower esophagus irritate it which may lead you to cough. Controlling heartburn may solve your coughing.
Acidity in your stomach can be controlled by:
1. Eating 80% alkaline food compare to 20% of acid food. (Google for the table of Acid and Alkaline food).
2. You can drink a freshly squeeze lemon juice in a large glass of water first thing in the morning. This will alkaline your stomach .
3. You could replace the lemon juice with 1 tsp of Sodium Bicarbonate. It will have the same effect than the freshly squeezed lemon juice.
4. Slice fresh ginger root and poor boiling water on it. Infuse for 5 minutes and drink the tea. This will help your digestion no end.
5. To soothe the irritation of the esophagus lining, you could drink a Thyme tea. Put 1 tsp of thyme in a cup, poor hot water, let infuse for 5 minutes and drink it. You can use Hyssop in the same way (but it is not recommended if you have high blood pressure). Marshmallow tea is also good for this condition.
Enjoy your food.