Scoliosis
Natural Solutions in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch

Got a question about
Scoliosis ?

Ask Here

Learn about the causes of Scoliosis & find a practitioner in Auckland, Hamilton, Bay of Plenty, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin to help you overcome Scoliosis within New Zealand.

Therapies which may benefit Scoliosis

Scoliosis is a deformity of the spine which forms during childhood, whereby a lateral curvature develops. The exact cause is unknown, but there is a hereditary factor, and it can also arise secondary to another condition, such as cerebral palsy or spina bifida.

 

Scoliosis | The Wellness Directory

Causes of scoliosis

Scoliosis can develop any time during childhood or adolescence. Eighty per cent of scoliosis cases have no known cause (idiopathic) however idiopathic scoliosis is thought to be hereditary and a recently discovered gene may make people more susceptible to the condition if it is passed on by a family member.

Other cases of scoliosis are usually caused by conditions affecting the nerves and muscles such as muscular dystrophy and cerebral palsy. Children who are unable to walk because of these conditions have an underdeveloped spine and are unable to stand upright.


Scoliosis can also be as a result of a birth defect but the condition cannot be caused by poor posture or carrying heavy weights on the back.

 

Symptoms of scoliosis

Children with scoliosis will have some of the following symptoms:

  • one shoulder higher than the other
  • a more prominent shoulder blade on one side
  • a more prominent hip
  • a lean to one side
  • clothes that do not hang properly

Diagnosis of scoliosis

Scoliosis is diagnosed with a physical examination by a GP. The GP will examine the spine, hips and shoulders and then refer the child to an orthopaedic specialist for an X-ray to determine the shape, direction and angle of the curve.

In severe curvature, an MRI scan may be required to check for any neurological conditions. In 90% of cases the condition corrects itself during growth of the child. For the remaining 10% of scoliosis cases a back brace will prevent further curvature and some children may require surgical intervention.



*Source: GoToSee.co.uk



© The Wellness Directory Limited, All Rights Reserved.

Recent Scoliosis Questions

Are there physiotherapist that specialising in exercises dealing with Scoliosis in Auckland... Read more >>

how much will it cost?... Read more >>

Join
Public Join
OR
Practioner Join